Search This Blog

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Quote-a


Oh dear! I should be writing for The Sun and its tenuously "amusing" punning headlines. Just to say that I have not been feeling particularly creative over the last week and thus no updates on this here blog. It could be something to do with the fact that I have spent eons of time correcting the main English-version Lille tourist website and translating the bits they forgot , or couldn't be bothered to translate. I have a cunning plan you see: to be a translator, you need the usual diplôme and a lifetime's experience. I am going to offer my services for free to the Lille Tourist Office and ask them to recommend me to other similar organisations. At the same time I shall send my translation and proof corrected version (some 19 pages!) to the translation agencies to show them I can do it! Wizard wheeze? Try this: "The Le Corbusier viaduct is an ideal observation point to have a large view on this modern district built in 1994. The Lille Europe station welcomes everyday TGV ( High speed trains) and Eurostar. The Crédit Lyonnais tower (architect Christian de Portzamparc) conceived as a block in the sky signalling renewal, the Tour Lilleurope (architect Claude Vasconi), the Euralille Centre, designed by Jean Nouvel" Imagine trawling through that and changing it to readable but also informative and interesting English.

Before I forget- the quote!! Not a new one but new to me.

"Definitions belong to the definer, not the defined" - Toni Morrison.

Loving it.

1 comment:

Clare said...

Hoorah! I'm glad you're doing the translating. Looks like a big job though! Hope you have a glass of wine in hand, it looks as if the English may flow a little easier......