Search This Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Spanishy Omelette

Hope I am not treading on toes here but I thought I would share a culinary success they have been rare recently and I have not felt inspired.

My very good friend and writer of the excellent Lemon Soul blog - see link on the side of this - quite rightly pointed out there should be a photo. I apologise and agree that there indeed should have been but by the time the camera was located (in Max's bag) the temptation to devour the final piece had quite overcome me. That is at least one reason I shall not be making a habit of writing about food. I shall leave that in more capable hands!

Yesterday I was stuck for something to make for dinner and, after two days of eating copiously and exceptionally well, both Max and I fancied something light and tasty. So I peeked into the fridge to see if anything gave me inspiration.

There it was. A ruby-red sweet pepper caught my eye, heavy in the hand, richly perfumed, it cried out "Mediterranean" and "sunshine". We always have fresh eggs around as they are produced extremely locally, so it was not long before I had decided to make a Spanishy Omelette. Now usually tortilla is made with potatoes but that would have made it too heavy for our liking, and I am a bit snobbish about calling anything else spanish omelette, hence spanishy!

I cut the courgette in half lengthwise and then into centimetre slices (about half an inch for the imperialists). Juices ran from the pepper as I gave it similar treatment. To this I added a small chopped onion and two thinly sliced cloves of garlic. Roasted whole cloves would be delicious too. I threw in a generous handful of pitted black olives and then allowed it all to cook in plenty of fruity olive oil in a heavy pan until the courgette was tender and slightly golden. I ensured the mixture was evenly distributed and then poured in 6 lightly beaten eggs, turned down the heat and left it until the eggs had almost set on top.

This omelette needs no attention during cooking apart from perhaps occasionally running a spatula around the edge.

Once the eggs were about done, I loosened the omelette slightly around the sides and turned the whole thing upside down onto a large plate before sliding it upside down back into the pan. I turned off the heat and left the other side to finish cooking in the remaining heat.

It was delicious cold, cut into wedges with some crusty bread and a green salad, though slightly warm would have been nice too, but probably not hot.

I would never dare recommend a wine to accompany any particular dish as it is very much a matter of individual taste. I can say that the bourgogne I happened to have went down very well!

Back to normal waffling rather than waffles very soon!

1 comment:

Clare said...

Eggs for Easter - sounds delish. Where's the pic?
Joyeux Paques cheri.
xx