Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The cost of working

How wonderful the French welfare state is! Yes indeed. Yet how much does it cost to be so very wonderful? Already I hear stories of generous benefits being handed out to those who could work but are not the full euro, or families who are living solely on what they get from the state having had the best and brightest Christmas decorations outside their homes. This is unsubstantiated of course. Yesterday, thinking I had better check out what I must do to be registered as a self-employed person, I found a website which calculated my cotisations, which are the equivalent of National Insurance contributions. It seems that the average percentage for someone employed is 35% of their salary before tax. For a self-employed person however, the total take from their earnings including tax (thankfully levied only on what is left) could amount to almost 70%. Now there must be a tiny clue in there for the French government why so few people can be bothered to start up their own businesses. I wonder what it is?? Quel horreur!! Actually it doesn't need to be quite so bad. I am compiling a list of questions for our accountant to get as much good advice as I can so as to reduce my liability, but think I shall have to be sanguine about paying more than I would have done in the UK if not bruised and bloodied. Once registered with the appropriate body and paying my dues I will get the essential Carte Vitale which means I can be ill for free. There's a comforting thought. Actually, no, self-employed people pay into the fund for sickness benefits and unemployment yet are not entitled to draw on it. So that's who pays for the Christmas lights. You don't know how lucky you are. Mmmm lovin' it?

1 comment:

Clare said...

Oh Pierre, you poor thing. But does this mean that you can now restrict yourself to a 35 hour week?!