Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2006

On becoming a Henman...



In the early days of course I misheard the French and thought that I was being invited to go swimming at the local "poule". Pause for laughter. In fact it was the daily trek to the far end of the very long garden to see the hens and there to give them whatever left-overs that had not already been earmarked for the dogs (Gessy and Xena).

There is something quite calming about being with such fidgety beasts. They have almost no fear and will crowd around attempting to peck at my green wellies whilst I arrange their meal on the requisite tray, not that it stays there long as all four birds attack it with gusto and drag bits off to eat elsewhere. They seem especially to like worm-shaped food so I have taken to cutting things into that shape.

The second reason for the foray is to collect whatever eggs have been laid. Often they have managed one each and for that we are very grateful and appreciative. Sometimes when there are less, or even none, they are the target of much castigation. I realise of course that they make almost as good a target for my fledgling French as the dogs as they don't need to fully understand and they never correct!

I don't go every day, as they are really Renée's pride and joy. Yet on the days when she is otherwise engaged I take pleasure in the stroll, together with two joyous dogs, and the excitement of guessing how many eggs will await me.

I have even taken to checking on their water and grain situation and am rather solicitous of their physiological needs, not that it is likely they will ever attain self-actualization (am allowing the z as it is an American source) in quite the way that we may as humans. Perhaps they do in their own chickeny way.

At last the main point of this tale: la grippe aviaire or bird flu'. It has been decreed that the whole of France, every department, must now confine their birds. We have been giving this consideration and must act quickly for fear that a local collaborator may inform on us. We have two options: cull or confect alternative lodgings.

Watch this space.

Latest update Sunday 19th February. Hen heaven can wait! Max and I concluckeded a new shelter and the ladies suffered only a short-lived indignity of being caught and carried from the end of the garden to their new Chez-Nous! If someone had told me 10 years ago that I would be constructing hen houses....

1 comment:

Clare said...

Horrah! Well saved!